Sunday, August 7, 2011

McDonald's Gluten Free Hamburger Buns (in Spain)


I just read today on Gluten Free Kid Travel that All McDonalds in Spain Now Have GF Buns!  Wow!  They are manufactured in Spain, so I doubt they are the same bun as I had on my Gluten Free Adventure in Oslo in December but hopefully they are just as good.
Gluten Free / Dairy Free Bread in Spain,
sadly it wasn't as crusty as it appears it should be

Spain is super easy to travel to if you are gluten and/or dairy free.  They don't really cook with either (although they eat bread with every meal) and awareness is quite high.  Here in the US I don't really tell waitstaff that I am gluten intolerant (or Celiac which although I'm not, has better awareness) instead I explain all the things I can't eat.  My spanish isn't great, but the first couple of times I tried to explain to a waiter what I couldn't eat, they would interupt me with a "¿Celiaco, no?".  And they knew exactly what that meant!

The village my grandfather was from (population 2-3,000) even has GF products available!  Most of the big supermarket chains carry GF products as well (although I have to be careful as a lot of the non-bread items contain dairy).  The best is Mercadona, but Corte Ingles and Supercor are good as well.

I would highly recommend traveling to Spain (and not just for McDonald's GF hamburger buns)!  Before you go you may want to check out the website http://www.celiacosmadrid.org.  It is mostly in Spanish but there is an English section (and the restaurant and store lists don't really need translating).  You should also read my Guide to Traveling Gluten Free / Dairy Free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed but backlink spam will be deleted and reported.