Sunday, August 28, 2011

Restaurant Review: Chipotle Mexican Grill (Various locations in NJ) - gluten free / dairy free / vegan


I was over helping my brother paint recently and we decided to run out for lunch while the paint dried (before starting our second coat).  Quick lunches aren't the easiest to find for someone following a gluten free diet and when you add in all my other allergens it's a mess.  He asked me where I could eat and my first thoughts were Elevation Burger and Five Guys.  I had GF/DF buns in my freezer but wasn't going to go home to get them so I ruled them out.  (Ok, and the fact that Cheeseburger in Paradise has Gluten Free Buns has me spoiled!)  I then realized that there is a Chipotle Mexican Grill near his new house.
A Gluten Free / Dairy Free / Vegan Burrito Bowl from Chipotle

I've eaten in a number of Chipotle Mexican Grills before and they are always very accommodating.  Most of their menu items are gluten and dairy free. Only the flour tortillas and soft flour tacos contained gluten and only their two obvious dairy items (sour cream and cheese) contained dairy.  (They have a pork item (out for me) and their pinto beans contain bacon.)  My biggest challenge is the guacamole - it is right next to the shredded cheese and sometimes a wayward strand gets in.

When I got to the counter, I mentioned my dietary restrictions and the counter person immediately changed his gloves, wiped down the counter and had the other counter people change their gloves as well.  I'm not that sensitive but it is nice to see them doing this for those that are (note - this was the first time I had seen this so it may not be this way at every Chipotle although their website says they will gladly change their gloves at your request).

The store is set up like a Boston Market where everything is laid out in front of you at the counter. You have a choice of bowl, salad, crispy taco and (if not a celiac) soft tacos and burritos. Add to that your choice of meats (chicken, beef, pork), beans (black or pinto) and rice, as well as sides of chips and three different salsas or guacamole. And since they are making everything in front of you you can watch exactly what they are doing.

I had a vegetarian bowl with guacamole and chips and as always it was terrific!

p.s. his house is also not that far way from qba in Montclair but I had just eaten there a couple of nights earlier.  If you missed that review it is here:  Restaurant Review: qba: a cuban kitchen (Montclair, NJ)

And don't forget to check out my Gluten Free / Dairy Free Restaurant List for NJ and my Gluten Free Fast Food / Chain List!
Chipotle Mexican Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed but backlink spam will be deleted and reported.