Thursday, June 23, 2011

Udi's Gluten Free Sub Sandwich Rolls


I know what you are thinking - "I had no idea Udi's was making a gluten free sub sandwich roll!"  Well, technically they aren't but their hot dog buns are easily repurposed for the task! 

Gluten Free / Pork Free / Dairy Free Italian Hero on Udi's Hotdog Bun

I was very impressed with their hot dog buns, especially how well they held up and that they didn't crumble.  After having hot dogs three nights in a roll, I decided to them out for a sandwich as well.  I've previously tried the Schär sub rolls but they're pricey and not as good as the Udi's.

My first sandwich is pictured at the right.  I made it with Jennie-O turkey ham and something called 'Beef Cervelat' in place of Salami.  If you are also pork free and looking for a pork free salami substitute, some A&Ps and some Shoprites carry this unsliced in their deli section.  It is exactly as I remember salami tasting.  (Pork bothers me, not as much as dairy but enough that I avoid it.)

But back to the rolls - I made these sandwiches (I had another italian hero and then roast beef subs twice after this one) using oil and vinegar, then wrapped them in foil and took them to work for lunch.  The rolls didn't get soggy and unless I cut them all the way through, the seams held as well!  Yes, the hot dog buns are smaller than the standard submarine sandwich roll but if they hold up I don't care. 

I've seen the Udi's hot dog buns both in Fairway in Paramus, NJ and Grassroots Natural Market (20 First Avenue, Denville, NJ 07834).  If you can't find them near you, you can also order them online from the Gluten Free Mall here: Udi's Gluten-Free Hot Dog Buns

Now if we could just get Udi's to produce a NY style bagel (not a roll with a hole in it that passes for a bagel in the rest of the country) then my search for GF/DF baked goods would be complete!

My original review of the hot dog buns is here: Udi's Gluten Free Hot Dog Buns are Amazing! and Udi's is also making two different higher fiber breads which you can read about here: Udi's Ancient Grains Gluten Free Breads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed but backlink spam will be deleted and reported.